Monday, July 11, 2011

AT THE END OF THE JOURNEY IS GOD - - song


While attending college I went to a revival at the Assembly of God Church in Weatherford, Oklahoma.  The evangelist was Virgil Mangrum, and he had written this song about 1965.  There is one video of the song on YouTube, but the singing is not very loud.   Several years later we began attending the Assembly of God Church in Yukon, Oklahoma, and Rev. Mangrum was the pastor there!  I like the song not only because I met its author, but because the music is very singable and the song has a good message.

                        AT THE END OF THE JOURNEY IS GOD

AT THE END OF THE JOURNEY IS GOD    (c)about 1965
      W & M by Rev. Virgil Mangrum
     
1. There's an end to our heartaches, our troubles and cares,
There's an end to our trials and the crosses we bear;
Like the prodigal son after far lands were trod,
At the end of the journey was God.

Chorus
At the end of the journey, the journey is God,
Though we're footsore and weary our feet poorly shod;
We will lay down our burdens our staff and our rod,
At the end of the journey is God.

2. Like the children of Israel we've wandered, it's true,
But our wandering will end with the light shining through;
There is one thought that cheers me as onward I trod,
At the end of the journey is God.

3. Weary pilgrim you've stumbled, you've oft been despaired,
But new hope came from knowing your Father still cared;
We will step through His portal from earth’s barren sod,
At the end of the journey is God.

11 comments:

  1. I remember hearing this very song around 1961, sung by T. Texas Tyler, when he came to the Assembly of God church in Iowa Park, Texas, pastored at the time by Rev Halbert Allen. My family attended church there while my dad was stationed at nearby Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls. thank you for posting the words to the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for additional information about when this song was performed. This gives me better information about when the song was written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, my family sang this song together when I was very young (great memories) .God bless you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember hearing this song in the mid 60's. Our family attended the Assembly of God church in Canton, Missouri. We had a revival and Sister Glenna Byard sang this song. It has a catch melody and became my signature song upon request. I used to sing this song quite often as a special number. It brings back so any memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the late 60s I attended the Gentilly Church of God in New Orleans. The pastor was Owen McManus, Sr. and his daughter Carol Ann McManus Land sang this song. It is so beautiful and I've always loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. By writing, it means that people are reading my blog and enjoying what I post.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for publishing Bob Robbins lyrics! He was a guest at Brother Conleys church in Tulsa when I was a child. I was shocked to see it on YouTube and here but so thrilled! It brought back beautiful memories of Revival time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you tell me where I can get the music to this song

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can still hear my dad singing this song!

    ReplyDelete