Monday, July 11, 2011

LONGING FOR JESUS - - song

Hello;
    My blog will be primarily postings of words to songs.  If any song words are posted that are still under copyright, and you, as the copyright owner, do not want the words posted in my blog, please advise and I will remove from that particular blog listing.

    LONGING FOR JESUS is a song that I learned from my Father, and when I began searching for the lyrics to this song, it started me on a journey that now includes the words to over 900 Gospel Hymns and Songs that I know!  I was surprised to find recordings of this song on YouTube, and a couple of links are here if you wish to hear the song.

            Gaither Homecoming –Good News Video recording     LONGING FOR JESUS
            GloChurch                  LONGING FOR JESUS  (6-06-10)

Enjoy!

LONGING FOR JESUS     (1938)   4/4
     Words & Music by Ione McPherson

1. I'm longing for that Glorious Day When Jesus Christ shall come;
I long to see his blessed face;
When all the Saints thro'out the ages Shall be gathered home,
The ones who've trusted in his grace.

Chorus
Oh, I'm longing for Jesus to come back;
I long for Jesus Christ my King;
To come and take me to my home beyond the sky;
Up there where Angels shout and sing.

2. Sometimes the road seems rough and hard, The pathway seems so long,
But He Is ever by my side.
He whispers loving words to me And tells me to be strong,
That He will always lead and guide.

3. Oh, what a glorious time 'twill be When through the air I go,
To meet the one who died for me.
My sorrows, cares, my trials, fears Will all be left below,
For then my way will be complete!

  - - - -
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.  (John 14:12)

6 comments:

  1. I love these old songs. I send a song each Saturday/Sunday to a group of friends. I started sending to one friend who shared a love for hymns. It has grown to a small group. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these old songs. I send a song each Saturday/Sunday to a group of friends. I started sending to one friend who shared a love for hymns. It has grown to a small group. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any idea what hymnal this song might be in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Longing For Jesus
      I have not accessed this blog in quite some time. Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I found the words in an old soft-back songbook in 1997 that I had borrowed from a friend.
      I play by ear and sing this one in the key of Eb because of my baritone range, although I can sing it in F also.

      Delete
  4. This song touches my heart, for I to am longing for Jesus' return. Even so, Lord Jesus come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My two sisters use to sing this song long time back at Assembly of God Church at Sayre, Okla.

    ReplyDelete